Since my little hiatus, a lot has happened in the world of music—too much really, but not enough at the same time. The summer is known for a lot of things in NYC, from tourists swarming Times Square and ConEd thriving in overpriced bills, to lots of weekend BBQs and getaways to popular beach spots (no matter how gross they are). But perhaps most of all, it’s known for its wonderful music festivals and shows. So I’ve compiled a list of interesting events, and of course, the top 10 songs of Summer 2013.
Based on Billboard, iTunes, MySpace, the VMAs, and my own bias (sorry, I refuse to include Miley on here), here’s the list:
- Avicii, “Wake Me Up”
- Robin Thicke, “Blurred Lines”
- Daft Punk, “Get Lucky”
- Jay-Z, “Holy Grail” (I mean, we could highlight the whole album, really)
- Justin Timberlake, “Mirrors”
- Imagine Dragons, “Radioactive”
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, “Can’t Hold Us” (seriously, this is played at least once an hr on the radio)
- Ellie Goulding, “I Need Your Love,” “Burn” (& “Fall Into the Sky” if you so please)
- Miguel, “Adorn”
- Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX, “I Love It”
- Kendrick Lamar “B*tch, Don’t Kill My Vibe“
- Lorde, “Royals” (I know I said 10, but she’s probably going to blow up, so just think of it as a bonus)
So to recap this summer…
Daft Punk took us into another decade* (once again) with Random Access Memories
Kanye West & Billie Holiday made us shiver
The hippies of the 21st Century took the “high life” to another level
Jay Z and JT changed the face of music once again
And most importantly of all…I ran into Robin Thicke (more to come on this), and then a week later, Miley twerked on him
So was your summer in NYC a success? I hope so. And if not, I hope you’re at LEAST taking advantage of Made in America this weekend. Either way, there’s a lot of new music coming up so be sure to check the FB page/back here every once in a while.
Oh, and just in case you didn’t know…LEATHER IS BACK.